Translate

Friday 10 October 2014

Well Holy God!

I just love second hand shops. Call them Junk shops, Vintage, Charity shops, I love them all. One of my favourites is Deccie's Done Deals in Midleton, Co Cork. Deccie is a lovely character and very down to earth. You will always get a bargain in Deccie's. He's on Facebook if you're interested.

I was in search of props for a Photography project i have in mind based on my mother and her fanatical Faith. If you read my posts, 'A cross to bear' and 'The Cruel Sea' then you will know about my mother's illness and her devotion to The Cross and probably every Saint on the books. She told us that Saint John Bosco appeared to her when she was unconscious. Apparently the Cloaked Character from the Sandiman Port bottle appeared to her too so I don't think I ever took it that seriously.

However I was looking for a picture of the Sacred Heart complete with red light containing a little cross when i visited Deccie's. If you are a middle aged Catholic then you will have had one of these pictures in your living room as a child and possibly still have one. I have one, minus the red bulb. In our house as a child I always remember a Rosary beads hanging from the section holding the light bulb and dried out palm leaves sprouting out from behind the picture,( these were a remnant from Palm Sunday Mass)  and a faded St. Bridget's Cross on the other side.

Deccie didn't have any Holy Pictures but I couldn't believe what he did have. Himself spotted them as we were leaving. I had walked straight past them, having a one tracked mind, all I was looking for was 1 of these pictures. Deccie had 2 magnificent Crucifixes which were taken out of a house in Montenotte (A very posh part of Cork City). I don't know how I will use them yet but I have a few ideas. The sight of them hanging up in my utility room freaks the hell out of my youngest daughter. I find it strangely comforting though.

This is Deccie, Legend

 Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, lens Canon 18-135mm@100mm, exp 1/100sec, f8, ISO 200
Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, lens Tamron 10-24mm@11mm, exp 1/100sec, f3.5, ISO 5000
@

 Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, lens Tamron 10-24mm@10mm, exp 1/100sec, f3.5, ISO 6400
 Camera Settings, Camera canon 70D, lens Tamron 10-24mm@10mm, exp 1/40sec, f3.5, ISO 320
 Camera Settings, Canon 70D, Lens Tamron 10-24mm@24mm, exp1/160sec, f4.5, ISO100
Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens Tamron 10-24mm @24mm,exp 1/160sec, f5.6, ISO 400

4 comments:

  1. I remember mam talking frequently about her being terrified by that cloaked man image from that add

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cloaked man must have made a big impact in the 1940's/50's because i remember my dad telling us a story about him appearing to his sisters when they were coming home from a dance. They lived in a the gate lodge in Inchera Woods in Little Island at the time. They came home terrified.

      Delete
  2. Great story, Mary. I have a few very large black&white and colour pictures of Jesus with dayglo Sacred Hearts and ornate frames I acquired for next to nothing in the junk shop in North Main Street - on my black and white picture wall at home. My Grannies, if alive, would have been very proud of me considered I was a little Heathen when they were alive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank's Fionnghuala, It's amazing what you find in these shops. One Man's junk is another man's treasure. Keep that Halo polished and I'm sure your Grannies are very proud of you and your wonderful business venture, http://cobhpastimes.ie

    ReplyDelete