Translate

Friday 28 November 2014

Don't let the sun go down on me

Don't let the sun go down on me, Lyrics by Elton John and Bernie Taupin

Don't let the sun go down on me
Although I search myself, it's always someone else I see
I'd just allow a fragment of your life to wander free
But losing everything is like the sun going down on me

I was at a funeral yesterday of a woman from my childhood neighbourhood. She had suffered Alzheimer's disease for several years and listening to her family reminissing on the fond memories they had of a  wonderful, devoted mother and grandmother made me think of the words of the song above. Alzheimer's must be like a door closing in your mind, shutting out the people you love and cherish or as the song says, 'losing everything is like the sun going down on me'.

This series of photographs is on Sunsets. Two of my daughter's are setting up their own homes next year and have asked me for canvases of some of the sunsets below. Both of them love cows, no reflection on me I hope.  For more cows in the sunset check out my post - http://mfkidneyphotography.blogspot.ie/2014/08/mad-cows.html

I have been told that some of my photographs look like oil paintings. It's amazing what can happen in post production. The good thing is that I won't be arriving at my children's houses with my latest effort at a painting and saying, wouldn't this be only beautiful above your fireplace.

I always remember one of my daughters in her Leaving cert year telling me that she felt like so many doors were closing on her. Leaving school and her friends and the familiar safety of her childhood. So many have opened for her since Thank God. She's getting married in March and opening the door into a new life full of my canvases, only joking Frankie!

I'm dedicating these photos to my neighbour Mary Brady, Late of Closes Road, Fairhill  and her wonderful loving family.
These photographs were taken in Mullinasole, Co Donegal, Ring, Co. Waterford and Cobh Co Cork.

 Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens Canon 18-135@39mm, exp 1/250sec, f14, ISO  100

Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens Canon 18-135mm@36mm, exp 1/80sec, f18, ISO100

Camera Settings, Camera Canon70D, Lens Canon 18-135mm@18mm, exp 1/160sec, f18, ISO100

 Camera settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens Canon 18-135mm@18mm, exp 1/13sec, f18, ISO 100

 Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens 18-135mm@22mm, exp 1/30sec, f8, ISO 100

Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens Tamron 10-24mm@24mm, exp 1/125sec, f22, ISO100

Camera Settings, Camera canon 70D, Lens Tamron 10-24mm@13mm, exp 1/125sec, f22, ISO 100

 Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens Tamron 10-24mm@24mm, exp 1/125, f16, ISO100

Camera Settings, Camera Canon 70D, Lens Tamron 10-24mm 24mm, exp 1/125sec, f20, ISO100








3 comments:

  1. Stunning photos Mary! Absolutely gorgeous - love the cows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maeve, it's lovely to hear from you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really gorgeous shots Mary - Well done!

    ReplyDelete