Translate

Saturday 26 July 2014

A neighbour's child

Back to Conceptual photography for a moment. I don't know how you are going to feel about this photograph and I was very slow to make it public, however I had it hanging in the Sirius Exhibition for a few weeks and I haven't been excommunicated so here goes.

When i was doing my last Photography course I had to come up with a Body of Work. I have spoken about this in previous posts. I dug deep into my own personal experiences for these images and most of them are very personal to me but can be interpreted by the individual in several different ways.

The Title of the body of work is "The veil that hides the future from us is woven by the Angel of Mercy". I got this saying from my father in law, R.I.P. The title of the image is "A Neighbours Child".





This image was inspired by a very sad and disturbing event. While out walking my dog along the shore on a wet October morning a few years ago I came upon the body of a young man who had hung himself.  It was along the stretch of shore in the photograph not from this tree.
I remember thinking that this wasn't my sadness, I wasn't the one getting the terrible news that day. Probably my mind helping me to deal with the situation. 
That is what this image is about. The veil over the lens is acting as a net curtain and I'm looking through a window into someone else's life. 
The rope juxtaposed with the swing are a haunting reminder of the events of that day. It makes me wonder if suicide by hanging has anything to do with getting back to a happy childhood place, worry and care free.

Camera settings Lens used Tamron 10 - 24mm@13mm, Exposure 1/200, f9, ISO 100

This will probably be my last post for a few days as i'm off on hols for a week and i don't think i will have internet access. I would love to hear other people's interpretations of this image if anyone feels like commenting below. Stay safe and well until we meet again.

No comments:

Post a Comment