Translate

Thursday 10 July 2014

The veil that hides the future

I collected 2 photographs from the Sirius art Centre in Cobh yesterday. I had them on display in an Open House exhibition for the past few weeks. I have to say i was a bit nervous about having them on display. They were part of a body of work that i completed for my Fetac course this year and they were what i suppose would be considered 'Fine Art Photography or Conceptual or Contemporary Photography'. I was nervous of putting myself out there on public display as in, the work was quite personal. However the beauty about this type of photography is that anyone who looks at it takes their own meaning from it.

For this type of work you have to come up with an idea or work to a theme.  I dug deep and used some personal experiences for mine.

I used a saying that my father in law,God rest him, used all the time. He used to say "An Angel of mercy hides the future from us" which is very true. I looked up the saying on Google and found that it was an old proverb, the full saying is " The veil that hides the future from us is woven by the angel of mercy".

I took this and let my imagination run wild and came up with 9 images around the theme, using the veil as a symbol to hide the knowledge of what the future holds.

I'll show you the main one now and I'll introduce the rest over time in the blog.


In this image there's a young girl on her communion day standing with her brother. I highlighted her to make her stand out. In the 'crystal ball' beneath her is an image of the same girl on her wedding day.
On her communion day she had stepped into cow dung and distroyed her shoes, you can see  the dung on the toes. She has a really worried look on her face as she was scolded for being so silly.
The medicine bottles are there to symbolise her career as a nurse. The shadow of the whisky bottle is just that. She was far from an alcoholic but it just shows what can be insinuated in a photograph.

I called this image 'The veil that hides the future'. If she had known on her communion day that one day she would leave her mammy and daddy and become a nurse and go off to the war, see all kinds of horrendous things, then come home and marry a man and have 5 children, I think the look on her face would be more of horror than worry. That's where the veil comes in, it hides a huge amount of knowledge from us.

The hope is that anyone looking at this image would take their own meaning from it, maybe a younger person would look at it and wonder what would be in their crystal ball.

How I did it
I set up this image on a shelf in my sitting room. I pinned the Communion photograph to the back wall of the shelf. I used an old glass fishing float as the crystal ball and placed it underneath the photograph. I superimposed the wedding photograph of the same girl onto the ball using post processing software, then i arranged the medicine bottles to the left and I placed the whisky bottle in such a way that the off camera flash threw the shadow of the bottle onto the image.

Settings used
Camera on tripod, Lens Canon 70-300mm @90mm. exposure 1/100sec, f7.1, ISO100, Off camera flash.





No comments:

Post a Comment